Toll-Free Number Overview
A great alternative to using a Short Code or a 10DLC (local area code) number is a Toll-Free number. Toll-Free US numbers can be used for business messaging to all major US carriers, as well as most major mobile Canadian carriers.
Beginning May 15, 2022, a no-cost verification process will need to be completed for all newly-purchased Toll-Free numbers before being permitted to send any messages. Any account with existing Toll-Free numbers being used for messaging will have until September 30, 2022, to go through this verification step for those numbers.
As a rule of thumb, some categories of messaging are forbidden on SignalWire. Please take the time to review our list of explicitly prohibited content before submitting your application for Toll-Free, 10DLC, and Short Code.
Downstream message filtering is designed to prevent unwanted messaging, fraud, and abuse. Before considering a Toll-Free campaign, please be sure to follow the CTIA guidelines and best messaging practices.
The following standards must be followed for Toll-Free messaging:
- Obtain clear opt-in consent from your recipients before sending messages
- Provide an easy way for your recipients to opt-out of receiving messages
- Using multiple Toll-Free numbers to send the same or similar content to bypass throughput limitations is known as snowshoeing. This is highly prohibited by carriers. If you need to increase your throughput, it can be approved by our Sales team. If you have a valid use case for using multiple Toll-Free numbers (such as multiple locations all requiring an individual Toll-Free number), this is something we may be able to work out with our carriers.
What is Toll-Free Verification?
Getting your Toll-Free number verified means that your business and use case has been reviewed and vetted prior to sending messaging via Toll-Free and that your content has received carrier approval.
Please note that the verification process is free of charge.
Having your Toll-Free numbers verified will greatly reduce the risk of SPAM filtering on Toll-Free traffic towards all major mobile carriers in the US, as well as most major mobile carriers in Canada, so long as you stick with the content you submitted for verification and continue to follow SignalWire’s messaging best practices and code of conduct.
Verification affects messaging to mobile subscribers in the United States as well as Fido, Rogers, Telus, and Videotron in Canada.
Note: Other (non-US/Canada) countries do not treat Toll-Free SMS any differently than other international SMS, and you should consult that country’s SMS Guidelines page to learn more about compliance considerations for messaging.
Toll-Free Verification Process
If you believe you have a valid use case for a Toll-Free number, our Carrier Operations team would be happy to assist you with obtaining a verified Toll-Free campaign. Once you fill out this form, a ticket will be generated for our Carrier Operations team to process. The turnaround for Toll-Free verification is 3-5 business days.
Due to an influx of upstream requests, our messaging peer has stated that the current turnaround time for registrations can be around a month, or longer if insufficient information is provided.
The form linked above includes the following fields. All of this information is required to verify traffic for your Toll-Free number:
- Business Name
- Company Website
- Business Address
- Compliance Contact (someone at your business who can respond to compliance questions if they arise)
- Requested Throughput (default is 3 MPS)
- Toll-Free number(s) to be verified (if multiple, please provide justification)
- Use Case / Description of the Use Case
- Message Content (samples that reflect the type of messages you will be sending)
- Opt-in Description (how do your recipients provide consent to receive messages?)
- Opt-in details (link to, image of, or scanned copy of opt-in page or process)
Note: While it is not required to include samples of every different iteration of your messaging content, it is strongly recommended that the message samples you provide represent the majority of the content you plan on sending.
I have many Toll-Free customers under my account, can I verify in bulk?
If you are an ISV, for example, and need to complete verification for multiple customers/multiple numbers, please download this template and fill out the required information for each number. To download, click File > Download > Microsoft Excel (.xlsx). Once you’re ready to submit, send the form to email@example.com and our Carrier Operations team will be in touch with you!
Is there an API available?
Currently (as of April 2022), there is no API available for submitting Toll-Free verification requests.