This is a complete guide for installing FreeSWITCH™ and its prerequisites on macOS, and for establishing 24x7 operation.
**What Is FreeSWITCH™? FreeSWITCH™ is an application that manages VOIP phones and connections to ITSPs (Internet Telephony Service Providers).
What Can You Do With FreeSWITCH™? It's powerful customization provides our incoming calls to do this: Normal ringing is replaced by: “Hi Briana, hold on while our phones ring", phones ring and Briana hears music, after 25 seconds: “hold on Briana while our iPhones ring", internal phones keep ringing and multiple iPhones ring, if no answer: “sorry we missed you Briana, please leave a message", Briana’s voicemail is taken and emailed to multiple iPhones!
Who Are These Pages For? This document is for people who want to install FreeSWITCH™ on macOS and are not familiar with Linux/Unix commands and directories.
What Is Available on the FreeSWITCH™ macOS Wiki? Here is a list of the macOS Wiki pages:
|FreeSWITCH™ macOS Installation optionsAutomated installation utilityManual installation using TerminalInstall Homebrew FreeSWITCH versionBasic testing and diagnosing problemsCustomization, tips and screen sharing24x7 operation and automatic restartEmail voicemail files to an iPhoneArchive since 2010 starting with OS X 10.6||macOS InstallationmacOS macFI InstallationmacOS Manual InstallationmacOS Homebrew InstallationmacOS Testing and DiagnosticsmacOS CustomizationmacOS 24x7 PreparationmacOS Email VoicemailMacOS Archive|
How This Documentation Was Developed and Maintained FreeSWITCH™ is tested and runs 24x7 on a headless Mac Mini. There was almost no FreeSWITCH™/macOS information when I replaced a VOIP PBX in 2010. So I compiled what I learned through searching, trial and error, the FreeSWITCH™ mailing list, etc. and created this documentation.
macOS Wiki History Major changes occurred:
- May 14, 2022 - Created "macOS Homebrew Installation" page
- March 12, 2017 - Created "Manual Installation", "Testing and Diagnosis", "24x7 Preparation", "Email Voicemails" split from other pages
- October 18, 2015 - Split installation and customization pages, combine installation sections, updated for FreeSWITCH™ 1.6, OS X 10.11 and Xcode 7, archive OS X 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8
- April 28, 2014 - Major updates for new OS X releases and Xcode
- Mar 21, 2013 - extensively updated and split into multiple pages
- Nov 22, 2010 - Created initial documentation